Our Attorney General (AG) practice provides counsel to clients across the country facing AG-related consumer protection issues, investigations, and litigation. Led by a former Ohio Attorney General and three former Consumer Protection Section Chiefs, Mac Murray & Shuster was one of the first to focus exclusively in this area. Our firm provides depth of substantive, relevant experience, a unique understanding of the priorities and decision-making process of government regulators, and decades of relationship building with state AG regulators.
On behalf of our clients, we interact daily with state and federal regulators, proactively working to build relationships, anticipate challenges, and limit potential risks. We educate regulators and their staff on our clients’ businesses and industries. We closely monitor policy matters and emerging trends, and provide the analysis and practical guidance to help clients successfully navigate their operations in an evolving regulatory environment.
The inside knowledge and experience our attorneys bring to their AG-related work is invaluable to our clients. Our team has deep experience on both sides of the table with multistate investigations involving a dozen states up to all fifty. These investigations cross a wide range of industries, from financial services and credit reporting to telecommunications and pharmaceuticals.
If a business does find itself the target of an inquiry, investigation, or litigation – whether by a single attorney general or in a multistate action, or jointly with federal agencies such as the Federal Trade Commission (FTC), Federal Communications Commission (FCC), or Bureau of Consumer Financial Protection (BCFP) – we can quickly develop the most effective strategy and response.
Our Attorney General & Multistate Investigation team provides a comprehensive range of services in the following areas:
- Consumer Financial Services. We represent our financial service clients in matters brought before state AG’s and the BCFP.
- Advertising & Marketing. We represent clients targeted by attorneys general in matters related to unfair and deceptive practices, claims substantiation, and other consumer protection laws.
- Investigations and Litigation. We draw on our years of experience leading attorney general and multistate investigations and litigation to provide aggressive representation for our clients.
- Privacy & Data Security. We help clients proactively comply with complex privacy laws, and respond quickly and effectively to data breaches and information security issues before AG offices.
- Regulatory Advocacy. We advocate for clients’ interests in matters involving the FTC, FCC, BCFP, and other federal and state regulators. This includes filing administrative petitions or comments on behalf of our clients and meeting with regulatory agencies.
- Association Representation. We strengthen working relationships with state regulators by representing our clients at the National Association of Attorneys General (NAAG), Democratic Attorneys General Association (DAGA) and Republican Attorneys General Association (RAGA) conferences.