Non-profit and tax-exempt organizations do critical work, and must often rely on fundraising efforts to accomplish their goals. In doing so, they face a unique set of state and federal regulatory demands requiring legal counsel well-versed in this area. We understand the challenges – and frustrations – of operating in a byzantine regulatory environment that varies state by state. We can help you navigate the process so that you can focus on what’s most important – the mission of your organization and those that it serves.
We work with non-profit organizations of all sizes, from the newly-founded to the well-established. We assist with formation and governance, help obtain and maintain licensing and registration, create regulatory compliance programs, and provide legal counsel in another areas. Our work across other highly regulated industries and previous experience as state consumer protection regulators provides us with the breadth of knowledge, experience, and insight to manage a non-profit organization’s most complex legal challenges.
We are proud that our engagement with the non-profit community extends far beyond our professional relationships. “Giving back” is a value embedded in our culture. That’s why you will find every member of our team – attorney and staff – contributing in many ways to local and national organizations that better our world. Whether serving on non-profit boards, providing pro bono legal services, volunteering at events, or supporting fundraising initiatives, we’re committed to making a difference every day.
Our Non-Profit team offers a full range of services to our non-profit and charitable organization clients, including:
- Review of Charitable Solicitations. Fundraising campaigns come in varied forms, including e-mail, telephone calls, and direct mail. Whether conducting solicitations yourself or through a third-party, we regularly review fundraising scripts to ensure they comply with all applicable state and federal reporting requirements.
- Formation and Governance. We can assist with your initial incorporation, corporate governance, and ongoing operational legal needs.
- Licensing and Registration. With information and renewal requirements varying state by state, fundraising registration is a complex and time-consuming process. We can keep you up-to-date and legal in every state in which you operate and fundraise.
- Matters Involving State Attorneys General and Other Regulatory Agencies. We can help you navigate Do Not Call and other investigations brought by the FTC, FCC or state attorneys general.
- Compliance Audits. Our comprehensive compliance audits cover a broad range of federal and state consumer protection laws and regulations, including the TCPA, TSR and state teleservices laws. We provide internal audits of our clients’ operations as well as audits of the call centers and other third parties with which our clients partner.
- Professional Fundraisers. Professional fundraising entities are governed by a different set of regulatory demands. We can ensure that contracted organizations working on your behalf do so in compliance with all applicable state and federal laws.