Last Updated: 03/29/22
Commitment to Clients
- We will use reasonable technical, administrative, and physical safeguards to protect client confidential information.
- We will never sell client confidential information.
- We will only disclose client confidential information as permitted by our ethical obligations.
- If you become a former client, we will continue to honor our commitment so long as we possess your confidential information.
Conflict Between this Policy and Laws and Regulations
INFORMATION WE COLLECT
We collect information that personally identifies, relates to, describes, or is capable of being associated with you (“Personal Information”), including:
- Unique Identifiers such as name, client number, date of birth, social security number
- Contact Information such as mailing address, billing address, email address, phone number;
- Financial Information such as checking account, credit/debit card number, brand, and expiration date;
- Commercial Information such as the legal services in which you are interested or have been provided, newsletters you have signed up to receive;
- Professional/Employment Information such as your employer and job title;
- Documents Containing Personal Information such as correspondence, materials provided to us in connection with a matter, and court and governmental agency records;
- Content of Correspondence such as information you share when completing our “contact us” form, write or email us, or correspond with us through other means;
- Inferences drawn from the above categories of Personal Information that relate to your preferences, characteristics, psychological trends, predispositions, behavior, attitudes, intelligence, abilities, and aptitudes (e.g., topical interests, engagement value).
The specific Personal Information we collect about you may vary based on how you use the Sites and/or Services and your relationship with us.
We also collect information about businesses that engage with us such as EIN, TIN, address, phone number, email address, bank account information (collectively, “Business Information”). This information is generally not considered Personal Information because it relates to a business or a business contact.
Usage Data and Sites Activity
We automatically collect information in connection with the actions you take on the Sites (“Usage Data”). For example, each time you visit our website, we may automatically collect the type of web browser you use, the type of device you use, your operating system, your Internet Service Provider, the pages you view, referring and exit pages, the date and time of your visit, the number of clicks to, from, and within the Sites, and the duration of your visits to the Sites. If this information is reasonably capable of being associated with you, we treat it as Personal Information under the category Internet and Network Information. If this information is not reasonably capable of being individually associated with you, we treat it as Usage Data.
We may record calls and retain the content of text messages or other written/electronic communications between you and us. By communicating with us, you consent to our recording and retention of communications.
HOW WE COLLECT INFORMATION
We may ask you to provide us with Personal Information when you communicate with us (online or offline), use the Sites, purchase Services, and at other times. You are not required to provide us your Personal Information; however, if you choose not to provide the requested information, you may not be able to use some or all of the features of the Sites or Services or we may not be able to fulfill your requested interaction.
Information About Others
If you provide Personal Information to us about any person other than your yourself, you represent and warrant that you have the legal right to do so or have obtained permission from the applicable person. For example, if you are an employer and provide us the Personal Information of an employee, you must have the legal right or permission to provide that information.
Third-Party Data Sources
We may collect Personal Information from third-party data sources such as courts, government agencies, public databases; entities to which we provide Services; opposing or related counsels/parties, and legal research sources; and payment processors.
If you engage with us via social media, use your social media credentials to access the Site or Services, or interact with social media buttons or widgets embedded in our Sites or Services, we may collect Personal Information available on your social media profile and Usage Data. For information about privacy controls available through your social media provider, please visit their website.
Cookies and Other Automated Tools
We use the following types of cookies:
- Session Cookies: Session cookies keep track of you or your information as you move from page to page within the Site and are typically deleted once you close your browser.
- Persistent Cookies: Persistent cookies reside on your system and allow us to customize your experience if you leave and later return to the Site. For example, persistent cookies may allow us to remember your preferences.
We employ software technology that enables us to track certain aspects of a user’s visit to the Site. This technology helps us better manage content on the Site by informing us what content is effective, how consumers engage with the Site, and how consumers arrive at and/or depart from the Site. The software typically uses two methods to track user activity: (1) “tracking pixels” and (2) “clear gifs.” Tracking pixels are pieces of executable code that are embedded in a web page that track usage activity including which pages are viewed, when they are viewed, and how long the pages are viewed. Clear gifs are tiny graphics with unique identifiers which are embedded in web pages and email messages that track whether or not a user has viewed a particular web page or email message. User activity information may be associated with additional information about a user’s session and Personal Information, if provided by the user.
From time to time we may request Personal Information from clients or prospective clients via surveys. Participation in these surveys is completely voluntary and you have a choice whether or not to disclose Personal Information.
Social Media Widgets
The Site may include social media features, such as the LinkedIn and Twitter widgets. These features may collect information about your IP address and the pages you visit on our Site as well as other Personal Information. A cookie may be set to ensure that a feature properly functions. Your interactions with features are governed by the privacy policies of the companies that provide them.
THIRD-PARTY PERSONAL INFORMATION COLLECTION ON SITE
Certain third parties collect Personal Information and/or Usage Data from users of our Site using automatic information collection tools such as cookies and tracking pixels. The collection, use, and disclosure of Personal Information and/or Usage Data by these third parties is governed by their privacy policies. This following third parties may collect Personal Information via our website:
HOW WE USE AND SHARE INFORMATION
We use Personal Information for internal purposes, such as:
- Provide you and others with the Site and Services, including our legal services, newsletters, and webinars;
- Market our Services to you;
- Manage our relationship with you;
- Perform marketing and non-marketing analytics;
- Operate information security and anti-fraud programs;
- Collect on client accounts;
- Complete legal filings and processes;
- Perform day-to-day business operations such as accounting and general management; and
- Respond to governmental and other legal requests.
Testimonials and Stories
If you provide a testimonial or story, we may post it publicly on the Sites, Services, or in other advertising material. We will always contact you to get permission before publishing a testimonial in any way that identifies you as the provider of the testimonial. We may use unattributed testimonials without permission.
We may provide your Personal Information to other businesses (“Service Providers”) to provide services to us or on our behalf. Categories of service providers we use include:
- Account servicing vendors, which help us provide services and information to you, service your account with us, and perform payment processing services;
- Marketing and communications vendors, which help us market our services to you, and conduct surveys and other outreach campaigns;
- Data and business analytics vendors, which help us analyze information in order to improve our business;
- IT and network administration vendors, which provide services such as data storage and management, website design and hosting, webinar platform, email management, newsletter distribution, and data security;
- Professional service firms, which provide accounting, legal, and other professional services; and
- General service providers, which help us with day-to-day business operations such as office support services, courier services, facilities management, and document destruction.
Each Service Provider is required to use reasonable security measures appropriate to the nature of the information involved to protect your Personal Information from unauthorized access, use, or disclosure. Service Providers are prohibited from using Personal Information that we provide them other than as specified by us.
We do not sell your Personal Information to third-party companies for their direct marketing purposes or for any other purpose. We may share your Personal Information to third parties as necessary in the performance of our legal services.
OTHER PRIVACY AND SECURITY PROVISIONS
As a law firm, we especially recognize the importance of safeguarding the confidentiality of Personal Information and protecting it from loss, misuse, or unauthorized alteration. Accordingly, we employ commercially reasonable administrative, technical, and physical safeguards to protect Personal Information from unauthorized access, disclosure, and use. Even with these safeguards, no data transmission over the Internet or other network can be guaranteed 100% secure. As a result, while we strive to protect information transmitted on or through our Site or Services, you do so at your own risk.
Please be aware that third-party websites accessible through the Site or recommended through our Services may have their own privacy and data collection policies and practices. We are not responsible for any actions, content of websites, or privacy policies of such third parties. You should check the applicable privacy policies of those third parties when providing information.
Compliance with Laws and Law Enforcement
We cooperate with government and law enforcement officials and private parties to enforce and comply with the law. We may disclose Personal Information and any other information about you to government or law enforcement officials or private parties if, in our discretion, we believe it is necessary or appropriate to respond to legal requests (including court orders, investigative demands and subpoenas), to protect the safety, property, or rights of ourselves, consumers, or any other third party, to prevent or stop any illegal, unethical, or legally actionable activity, or to comply with law. However, if you are a client or prospective client, Personal Information you provide in the course of our representation or potential representation may be subject to Attorney-Client Privilege and/or Work Product Doctrines.
We may share Personal Information and Usage Data with businesses controlling, controlled by, or under common control with us, if permitted by applicable ethics rules. If we are merged, acquired or sold, or in the event of a transfer of some or all of our assets, we may disclose or transfer Personal Information and Usage Data in connection with such transaction.
How Long We Retain Your Data
We retain your Personal Information for as long as we have a relationship with you. We also retain your Personal Information for a period of time after our relationship with you has ended where there is an ongoing business need to retain it. This includes retention to comply with our legal, ethical, regulatory, tax, and/or accounting obligations, and retention that is advisable in light of our legal position.
The Site and Services are not intended for children under the age of 16 and we do not knowingly collect Personal Information from children under the age of 16 except in limited circumstances when necessary during the course of a legal representation. If we become aware that we have inadvertently received Personal Information from a child under the age of 16, we will delete such information from our records. If we obtain the Personal Information of a minor during the course of a legal representation, we will retain that Personal Information for only as long as necessary to perform the representation and satisfy our recordkeeping obligations under applicable law and ethics requirements.
Governing Law & international Transfers
The Site and Services are provided in the State of Ohio and the laws of the State of Ohio will apply to your use of the Site and Services, without regard to conflicts of law principles. You acknowledge that Personal Information will be transferred to and accessible from locations within the United States of America. The laws of the United States of America may not provide the same or similar protections as the laws of your home jurisdiction. By providing Personal Information to us, you agree to the transfer of your Personal Information to, and the processing of your Personal Information within, the United States of America.
California “Do Not Track” Disclosure
Do Not Track is a web browser privacy preference that causes the web browser to broadcast a signal to websites requesting that a user’s activity not be tracked. Currently, our Sites and Services do not respond to “do not track” signals.
Mac Murray & Shuster LLP
6525 West Campus Oval, Suite 210
New Albany, Ohio 43054
Email: [email protected]