“Compliance is more than a checklist review. It requires proactive outreach to regulators—creating a relationship of trust and understanding. This preparation is invaluable in shaping sound public policy as well as resolving problems in a timely and reasonable manner.”
Former Ohio Attorney General Betty Montgomery is Of Counsel to Mac Murray & Shuster, focusing her practice on helping clients understand and meet their regulatory compliance obligations and representing them before state regulators across the country. Betty previously served for twenty-six years in the following elected positions: Ohio Auditor of State (2003-07); Ohio Attorney General (1995-03); State Senator for District 2 (1989-95); and Wood County Prosecuting Attorney (1981-89), during which she was the only woman prosecuting attorney in the state.
Betty’s long and distinguished career in public service includes a number of highlights, including drafting Ohio’s first Living Will Law and first Brownfields Legislation. As Attorney General, Betty dramatically increased state support for local law enforcement and rebuilt all of Ohio’s crime labs, introducing DNA testing and 21st century technology to Ohio. She was Ohio’s first woman Attorney General and first woman Auditor of State.
Betty has earned a national reputation for her focus on protecting consumers. As Attorney General, she received national recognition for excellence in service and advocacy in many areas including legal work before the U.S. Supreme Court. She served as co-chairperson of the NAAG Consumer Protection Committee for four years and in 2000, her Consumer Protection Section, headed by Helen Mac Murray, was recognized as the most outstanding consumer protection agency in the country by the National Association of Consumer Agency Administrators.
In addition to her legal and consulting work, Betty is President of the State Medical Board of Ohio and Chair of The Jo Ann Davidson Ohio Leadership Institute, which trains women in business and civic leadership to assume more prominent roles in government and in the Republican Party or in their community. She also serves on the JobsOhio Beverage System Board and Capitol Square Foundation, and is a former Chair of Bowling Green State University’s Board of Trustees. Reflective of her deep experience and extensive knowledge, Betty led the transition team for current Ohio Attorney General David Yost.
Bar & Court Admissions
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. District Court, Southern & Northern Districts of Ohio
- Juris Doctorate, University of Toledo College of Law, 1976
- Bachelor of Arts, Bowling Green State University, 1970
- Ohio State Bar Association
- Columbus Bar Association
Honors & Awards
- Rated AV Preeminent by Martindale-Hubbell
- Best Lawyers in America®, 2018-2023; Lawyer of the Year in Government Relations, 2020
- Nettie Cronise Lutes Award, Ohio State Bar Association
- Ohio Women’s Hall of Fame Award
- American Bar Association Pro Bono Award
- Distinguished Alumni Award, Bowling Green State University
- Alumni Centennial Award, Bowling Green State University
- Attorney General Distinguished Service Award
- Child Advocate of the Year, Ohio Court Appointed Special Advocates/Guardian Ad Litem Association
- National Association of Consumer Agency Professionals Award
- YWCA Women of Achievement Award
- Outstanding Public Service Award, John Glenn School of Public Service at The Ohio State University
Charitable & Civic Involvement
- President, State Medical Board of Ohio
- Chair, The Jo Ann Davidson Ohio Leadership Institute
- Director, JobsOhio Beverage System Board
- Member, Capitol Square Foundation
- Past Chair, Bowling Green State University Board Of Trustees
- Past Chair, Prevent Blindness Ohio