Senior Attorney Erica Hollar works with the firm’s Compliance and Litigation teams. Her practice focuses on advertising and marketing, teleservices, privacy and data security, and other consumer protection matters.
With more than a decade of experience, Erica began her legal career with M&S, assisting on regulatory matters and developing compliance programs for teleservices, debt collection, and charitable fundraising businesses. She returned to the firm in 2020 after gaining experience and insight as in-house counsel for a major retail organization where she provided strategic and legal guidance on marketing and commercial transactions. She understands firsthand the challenges and pitfalls her clients face in trying to meet their compliance obligations without impeding operational, financial, and innovation objectives.
Leveraging this comprehensive background, Erica now provides M&S clients with both proactive compliance counsel and representation in litigation and government enforcement action. She advises on applicable federal and state regulatory requirements, industry best practices, and industry self-regulatory regimes related to consumer protection and privacy matters. This includes conducting risk assessments, developing and implementing policies and procedures, creating and delivering employee training, conducting ongoing monitoring and testing, responding to issues, and developing meaningful reporting. She has extensive experience with a wide range of existing and emerging laws, including the TCPA, CCPA, FTC Act, UDAP laws, and CAN-SPAM.
Erica also represents clients throughout all phases of litigation and enforcement matters, including responding to consumer complaints and defending against government investigations, enforcement action, and class action lawsuits.
- Helped develop and maintain regulatory compliance programs for associations and businesses in non-profit, debt collection, and telemarketing/call center industries.
- Provided clients across multiple industries with ongoing monitoring and analysis of existing consumer protection regulations and emerging trends.
- Drafted, reviewed, and negotiated material commercial agreements, including professional/hosted service, e-commerce, marketing, advertising, consumer engagement, and purchase of merchandise and non-merchandise goods.
- Provided legal guidance for implementation of business-critical initiatives, including online purchase transactions, supplier direct fulfillment, and private label financial services.
- Compiled 50 state surveys for clients in varied industries, covering regulatory practices and matters related to telemarketing, privacy, data breach, debt collection, and other consumer protection laws.
- Assisted clients with formal responses to Civil Investigative Demands (CIDs) and subpoenas.