“A lot of attorneys are great talkers, but I believe the strongest counsel comes from great listening. My clients count on me to really hear what they’re sharing, ask the right questions to unearth underlying issues, and use that information to shape the legal strategy that best aligns with their business goals.”
Senior Attorney Erica Hollar works with the firm’s Compliance and Litigation teams. Her practice focuses on advertising and marketing, teleservices, privacy and data security, and other consumer protection matters.
Erica holds over a decade of experience assisting on regulatory matters and developing compliance programs for teleservices, debt collection, and charitable fundraising businesses. Her background includes acting as in-house counsel for a major retail organization, where she provided legal guidance on marketing and commercial transactions. Erica understands firsthand the challenges her clients face in meeting their compliance obligations without impeding operational, financial, and innovation objectives.
Erica provides clients with proactive compliance counsel and representation in litigation and government enforcement action. She advises on applicable federal and state regulatory requirements, industry best practices, and industry self-regulatory regimes related to consumer protection and privacy. This includes conducting risk assessments, developing and implementing policies and procedures, creating and delivering employee training, conducting ongoing monitoring and testing, responding to issues, and developing meaningful reporting. Erica’s experience covers a wide range of existing and emerging laws, including the TCPA, CCPA, FTC Act, UDAP laws, and CAN-SPAM.
Erica also represents clients throughout all phases of litigation and enforcement matters, including responding to consumer complaints and defending against government investigations, enforcement action, and class action lawsuits.
- Helped develop and maintain regulatory compliance programs for associations and businesses in non-profit, debt collection, and telemarketing/call center industries.
- Provided clients across multiple industries with ongoing monitoring and analysis of existing consumer protection regulations and emerging trends.
- Drafted, reviewed, and negotiated material commercial agreements, including professional/hosted service, e-commerce, marketing, advertising, consumer engagement, and purchase of merchandise and non-merchandise goods.
- Provided legal guidance for the implementation of business-critical initiatives, including online purchase transactions, supplier direct fulfillment, and private label financial services.
- Compiled 50 state surveys for clients in varied industries, covering regulatory practices and matters related to telemarketing, privacy, data breach, debt collection, and other consumer protection laws.
- Assisted clients with formal responses to Civil Investigative Demands (CIDs) and subpoenas.
Bar & Court Admissions
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Michigan
- Juris Doctor, Thomas M. Cooley Law School 2009, cum laude
- Bachelor of Arts, Miami University, 2006
- Ohio State Bar Association
- Columbus Bar Association
- Ohio Women’s Bar Association
- National Academy of Continuing Legal Education, Faculty Member
Charitable & Civic Involvement
- Ronald McDonald House Charities of Central Ohio