Helen Mac Murray
“Consumer complaints are a gift! Use them to identify compliance issues before a regulator does. Then, be sure to audit your system after you correct it to confirm that your change really fixed the problem.”
A founding partner of Mac Murray & Shuster, Helen has been a national leader in the consumer protection arena for over two decades. She consults with and represents numerous entities regulated by federal and state consumer protection laws, regularly working with in-house counsel, executive management, and marketing and sales personnel.
Prior to founding the firm, Helen served as Chief of the Ohio Attorney General’s Consumer Protection Section, named in 2000 as the “National Consumer Protection Agency of the Year.” From 1997-2001, she was the staff lead for the National Association of Attorneys General Consumer Protection Committee enforcement actions, including the country’s first actions involving nearly all state attorney general offices, where she was responsible for coordinating multistate investigations and drafting comment letters to Congress concerning proposed legislation.
Helen not only brings deep insight into how the other side thinks, but also works constantly to maintain her connections to regulators and their staff. As an assistant AG, she watched attorneys frequently achieve lesser results for clients because they didn’t understand the law or how politics and the press affect cases; their arrogance and condescending attitude fueled the regulators’ diligence to significantly greater heights. The result? Tougher settlement terms and higher monetary payments. Always.
Deciding there was a better way to represent clients, Helen now uses her experience and insights to focus on the defense of state, federal, and multistate consumer protection investigations. She believes that a regulator’s knowledge is only as good as the information you bring to them. Presented in a respectful manner and with a true understanding of consumer protection law, Helen obtains excellent results for her clients with regulators and courts including investigation closures, case dismissals, and settlements for tens of millions of dollars less than original demands.
Helen keeps her pulse on the ever-changing political landscape, from changes in leadership at the FTC and CFPB to the national balance of the parties of state AGs. She constantly monitors the increased activism of a block of Democratic AGs motivated by the current administration’s actions (or lack thereof).
In addition to her defense work, Helen frequently advises clients on proactively managing their compliance obligations, successfully identifying issues that only a trained “former regulator eye” will catch. A frustrating subtlety of consumer protection law is its subjective nature. Knowing how regulators interpret these laws, and when that interpretation changes, is crucial to maintaining compliance. Helen regularly sits across the table from consumer protection regulators throughout the country to hear this information and bring it to you in language that you can act on.
Helen has received extensive professional and peer recognition for excellence in law, including Super Lawyers and Best Lawyers in America in the areas of Government Relations Practice and Advertising Law. She is a frequent national speaker on consumer regulatory issues, addressing government, industry, and other professional organizations.
Bar & Court Admissions
- New Jersey
- West Virginia
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Georgia
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Georgia
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court, Central District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Iowa
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Missouri
- U.S. District Court, New Jersey
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Tennessee
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Tennessee
- U.S. District Court, Utah
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of West Virginia
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Wisconsin
- Juris Doctorate, University of Toledo College of Law, 1987
- Bachelor of Arts, Stockton State College, 1984
- American Bar Association, Consumer Protection Subcommittee (State & Local Government Section), Chairperson; Anti-Trust Committee
- Ohio State Bar Association, Council of Delegates; Commission on Judicial Candidates, Member
- OSBA Desk Manual Consumer Protection Law, Co-Author
- National Cannabis Industry Association, Marketing & Advertising Committee
- National Academy of Continuing Legal Education, Faculty Member
- Ohio Women’s Bar Association, Past President
- Columbus Bar Association, Judicial Screening Committee
- American Inns of Court, Past President
- Ohio Women’s Coalition
Honors & Awards
- Rated AV Preeminent by Martindale-Hubbell
- Best Lawyers in America®, 2015-2023
- Ohio Super Lawyers®, 2004-2010, 2019-2022
- Ohio Women’s Bar Association and Bar Foundation 2019 Leading the Way Award
- Top Attorneys in Ohio
- Certified Mediator, Institute for Conflict Management, Santa Monica, CA
- NARI Community Service Award
- Ohio Attorney General’s Professionalism Award