Michele is a founding partner of Mac Murray & Shuster, where she brings more than two decades of experience working with consumer-facing businesses in highly-regulated industries nationwide. Michele advises clients on proactively managing federal and state consumer protection demands, and provides representation in government enforcement and investigation matters before state attorneys general, the FTC, and FCC. She routinely conducts regulatory compliance audits and provides counsel on a wide range of advertising, marketing, and privacy issues.
Previously, Michele served as Chief of the Ohio Attorney General’s Consumer Protection Section, where she was instrumental in creating Ohio’s Do Not Call laws.
Michele currently serves as General Counsel to the Professional Association for Customer Engagement (PACE) and oversees its Self-Regulatory Organization. In this role, and with her depth of experience related to TCPA compliance, she was an integral part of PACE’s successful challenge to the FCC’s 2015 TCPA Declaratory Ruling, resulting in the landmark decision in ACA vs. FCC that overturned TCPA interpretations. She has an exceptional foundation in U.S. privacy and is accredited as both a Certified Information Privacy Professional (CIPP/US) through the International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP) and Customer Engagement Compliance Professional (CECP) through PACE.
With insight gained through her experience on both sides of consumer protection laws, Michele speaks the language of compliance, translating complex regulatory challenges into actionable solutions. She brings a thorough and balanced approach to her counsel, advising clients not with a list of “don’ts” but with a sound assessment and can-do plan that helps them achieve business goals while providing peace of mind.
Michele is a highly sought-after national speaker on consumer protection matters, frequently addressing both state and federal government agencies and serving as keynote presenter to leading industry groups. She has written and presented extensively on the TCPA and other telemarketing regulations.
Michele is rated AV Preeminent by Martindale-Hubbell and has been recognized for her professional achievements by Best Lawyers® and Ohio Super Lawyers®, among other professional and industry organizations. A past president of the Ohio Women’s Bar Association, she is a powerful advocate for women in law, and is a member of the National Association of Minority & Women Owned Law Firms (NAMWOLF).
- Represents clients in matters before FTC and FCC, and in investigations by state attorneys general.
- Obtained dismissal of numerous TCPA class action cases with no payment to plaintiff.
- Designed and implemented marketing compliance programs for dozens of companies ranging from entrepreneurial startups to Fortune 100 companies.
- Filed numerous comments and position statements with regulatory bodies on behalf of clients and industries.
- Extensive speaking experience on topics related to consumer protection defense, telemarketing, and call contact center regulation.
- Created and implemented industry association self-regulatory organizations.
- Advises non-profit, debt collection, telemarketing and call center clients on proactively achieving compliance with state and federal regulations.
- Frequently called upon by regulators to provide industry perspective on consumer protection matters.