Josh focuses his practice on helping clients achieve their business goals while understanding and complying with federal and state consumer protection laws. As a former in-house counsel, Josh brings a critical client perspective to his legal practice and understands that businesses want an action plan – not just legal theory.
Josh has experience representing clients across a range of proactive and responsive matters, including developing compliance programs, obtaining required licensing, responding to consumer complaints and negotiating with regulators to bring concerns to resolution. He has worked with many state and federal agencies, such as the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB) and attorney general and other consumer protection regulators in over 40 states. Additionally, Josh has experience navigating complex regulatory requirements, including Unfair, Deceptive and Abusive Acts and Practices laws (UDAAP/UDAP), the FTC’s Telemarketing Sales Rule, Ohio’s Consumer Sales Practices Act and Telephone Solicitation Sales Act, and the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA).
He is accredited as both a Certified Information Privacy Professional (CIPP/US) through the International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP) and a Customer Engagement Compliance Professional (CECP) through the Professional Association for Customer Engagement (PACE).
- Worked with a multinational group of companies to align privacy policies and practices with U.S. and GDPR requirements.
- Counseled clients in responding to civil investigative demands, subpoenas, and consumer complaints from the CFPB, state regulators, and non-governmental agencies such as the Better Business Bureau.
- Developed a comprehensive debt collector due diligence program for a major advertising products manufacturer.
- Advised a national fleet management company on FCRA-compliant reporting of driver data.
- Worked with numerous state regulators to facilitate a client’s licensing and compliance with money transmission regulations in over forty states.
- Conducted a company-wide compliance assessment for a marketer of service contract programs.
- Drafted white papers and comments to the FCC, FTC, and CFPB on behalf of trade associations and corporate clients.
- Advised multinational home senior care provider in creation of new marketing program on compliance with U.S. and Canadian telemarketing regulations.